Raised Cat Bowls are recommended for these reasons:
- Raised cat bowls means there is less pressure placed on the cat’s joints and muscles. They do not need to bend down to floor level in order to reach food bowls. This is particularly relevant for senior cats or if your cat has arthritis, an illness or injury, as it may be painful to crouch to reach food.
- Cat owners who have physical mobility issues, will find it considerably easier to pick up a bowl that is raised even several inches from floor level.
- For some breeds of cats, with flat faces, it can be difficult to access food from a bowl on the floor. Ideally bowls for these kitties will be wider and flatter than usual.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn through qualifying purchases.
Cats are natural crouch eaters. As cats are natural crouch eaters do not use a feeding platform that is too high. There are a lot of practical solutions for cat feeding platforms and options to suit all size and cat breeds.
In A Hurry?
Here is a quick look at the food bowls we have reviewed in detail in this article.
|Neater Feeder Express||Check Price|
|LePet Elevated Bowls||Check Price|
|PetFusion Elevated Bowls||Check Price|
|Peto Cat Bowl Raised||Check Price|
|Y YHY Raised Cat Food Bowls||Check Price|
Reviews of Raised Cat Feeding Bowls/Platforms
1. Neater Feeder Express Pet Bowls
As seen in the photo the Neater Feeder has a guard around the rear and the sides of the feeding platform making it ideal for messy eaters. Even the smaller guard at the front will help to contain any wet food or kibble spills.
In addition if any liquid is spilled it flows to the front of the feeder where there is grate that leads to a catchment area that sits underneath the feeder. So no soggy kibble or canned food mixed with water. This is an excellent design idea. There is space for two bowls so the choice is yours whether it is suitable for water and wet food or wet food and kibble and so on. Many cats prefer to have their water bowl located away from their eating area.
Read this review from the owner of a messy eater.
All parts of the product are top shelf dishwasher safe, including the cat bowls and the top and bottom part of the feeder.
Some people have commented that this could affect the non slip feet and that it is easy to wash the unit in soapy water when needed. This product is available in different sizes (one size for cats, different sizes for dogs) and colors.
It is made in the USA.
2. Lepet Elevated Cat Bowl
This stand has so much going for it. For starters, it is a good height for cats as can be seen in the image. Cats are crouch eaters. Think of them eating their prey so some crouch is desirable.
Bamboo is such a tough, durable product and yet it is lightweight so when the stand needs to be picked up for cleaning it is lightweight. Although it is lightweight it has plastic stoppers on the bottom and consumers have remarked that even a large cat cannot push the stand around.
There are handles on the sides, as can be seen so once again easy to pick up and move to another location. The fact that it has four bowls, two stainless steel and two ceramic is a big bonus. Both sets of bowls are fine to go in the dishwasher and replacement ceramic bowls are available.
This stand and bowls will be with you for a long time. It has some very very cute design features. The kitty ears cut out where the bowls are placed is adorable and practical making it easy to remove the bowls by using a finger to lever and remove the bowl. The LePet sticker (can’t be seen in this image) can be peeled off. The product may or may not have a chemical smell when first opened.
3. PetFusion Premium Anodized Aluminum Feeder
The shorter 4 inch pet feeder shown in the image is the height that is suitable for cats.The included bowls are stainless steel. The stand is anodized aluminum. This is a definition of anodizing from anodizing.org
Anodizing is an electrochemical process that converts the metal surface into a decorative, durable, corrosion-resistant, anodic oxide finish.
It is a highly practical finish for a feeding bowl that is likely to get water and food spills and need cleaning and wiping. The 3 bowls included are US food Grade stainless steel, 2 bowls with a capacity of 3 cups and 1 shallow bowl (1.1″, 13 oz). The bowls are also available separately, which is always a good thing.
It has anti slip feet and anti slip bowl inserts so the bowl will not be rattling around inside the feeder plus your kitty will not be pushing this pet feeder around the floor. This is definitely a quality product. Easy to clean with a quick wipe and no water spots on the aluminum.
This is a link to the most recent up to date reviews that includes all reviews, positive and critical.
Some people have commented on the bowl size for a cat as being large.
I have always used this size bowl for the cat and actually prefer to use a bowl that is a little bigger rather than piling up a bowl that is too small. However if your preference is for a shallower bowl, there is always the opportunity to purchase another shallow bowl or use a different bowl with the same circumference dimensions that would fit the unit.
4. Peto Raised Cat Food Bowl
The simple, clean and modern lines ensure that this design looks great in any home and will fit with all decor styles.
Lowering the pressure on joints is enabled as the stand is 2.5 inches from the ground eliminating the need for the cat to bend to the floor when eating.
The bowl position also freely moves to the best position to suit your cat as can be seen in the image below. This is a stroke of genius in cat bowl design as it is uniquely tailored to suit all cats.
The bowl is of course removable for washing. It holds 2 cups of food or water.
As can also be seen in the image there are non slip rubber feet to prevent the dish from slipping, sliding or tipping.
The bowl is made from melamine. It is not suitable to put in the microwave. It is non toxic
5. Y YHY Raised Cat Food Bowls
The raised stand is designed to protect the cat’s neck and to make eating easier. It follows the principle that cats are natural crouch eaters. It is far easy for them to eat from a raised bowl rather than bowl that is flat on the floor.
The base is wide making this bowl stable.
It is perfect for flat faced cat breeds and the width of the bowl takes into account whisker fatigue.
This bowl is ceramic which is convenient as it can be put in the microwave and dishwasher if desired.
If cats could speak they would say that they love this bowl. It is a perfect eating height and makes it comfortable for the cat to eat.
Recommendation For Raised Cat Bowls
1. Neater Feeder Express Pet Bowls
All of the potential issues with a cat feeding bowl have been addressed in the design of the Neater Feeder.
The Neater Feeder allows the cat to dine neatly and any mess is contained so that it is easy to deal with. Any food spills remain in the upper reservoir while water filters through to the lower reservoir. No more mess not to mention protecting the flooring.
As the feeder is raised it has all of the benefits of raised cat bowls so that the cat doesn’t have to bend to the floor to eat but can still eat in a crouched position which is the natural eating position for a cat.
Checklist For Choosing A Raised Cat Bowl
- The height of the box – The ideal height should be around 4 – 6 inches. Our box is 4” high (see below), but it will depend on the size of your cat. Cats should still be eating in a semi crouch position.
- How many cats do you have? More than one feeding platform may be required or if the platform has multiple bowls, more that one cat could share the same platform.
- What is the feeding platform made from? – Will it be easy to clean? This is important. Practicality will win any day. Make sure that it will be easy to wipe down and that the bowls can be easily be removed for cleaning.
- Are the bowls a standard size so that they can be replaced if or when the need arises.
- Can the raised feeding platform be knocked over or easily pushed? Make sure that the platform is not too lightweight or your kitty may push it around while eating. Can it be easily knocked over by a toddler or a dog?
- Check the depth of the bowls as this may almost negate the benefit gained from the height aspect. Make sure that the bowls are not too deep. If kitty has to bend his head right into the bowl, the bowls may be too deep.
- As mentioned earlier, if your kitty is a breed that has a flat face (no offense intended here kitty), ensure that the raised cat bowls are reasonably flat and shallow. Check the image below for reference.
Signs Your Cat Needs A Raised Cat Bowl
- Your cat is a senior and crouching has become difficult
- Your cat has arthritis or other medical conditions that make crouching potentially painful
- Your cat is a messy eater
- Your cat likes to tip the water bowl or knock food bowls over (shock horror, some kitties do this)
- Your cat routinely picks up cat food and then drops it on the floor
Senior Cats and Raised Cat Bowls
Our senior cat was finding it difficult to crouch to floor level to reach his food bowls. In addition our hardwood floors made it difficult for him to get any purchase with his hind legs.
As there is a slight raised edge to the box, the bowl cannot be pushed over the edge plus the liner helps to keep the bowl in place. Taking into consideration, the non slip mat underneath the box, the raised edge of the box and the non slip liner in the top of the box it is all extremely stable and doesn’t move at all when being used.