If you asked me how to get cat pee out of a memory foam mattress, and if I were not seasoned in feline rescue and care, I may have once said, ditch that expensive memory foam mattress because it is as good as gone once a cat pees on it.
However, life is a learning process, especially with cats in the household, and we can get rid of cat pee with some perseverance.
I have been a cat parent for over 35 years and I continue to learn new things about raising cats. So, hang on to that expensive memory foam mattress (and your cat) and take a moment to read about simple and easy ways of getting pee out of memory foam and the horrid urine smell it leaves in the fabric.
How To get Cat Pee Out Of A Memory Foam Mattress-Options
First method – Using Vinegar and Baking Soda
1) Start off by clearing the mattress of any materials or bedding.
2) Next, blot as much urine as possible with clean towels or paper towels. Do not rub the area. When blotting the moisture is drawn into the paper towel as opposed to rubbing which forces the urine to penetrate even deeper into the mattress.
3) Then, mix together one part water with one part white vinegar.
4) Sponge the solution onto the affected area or use a spray bottle to spray the area. Using a spray bottle is easier as it gives more control.
5) Allow the solution to sit on the urine stain for several minutes, then blot it up with more clean towels or paper towels.
6) Finally, use a vacuum cleaner with the upholstery attachment to remove any remaining moisture from the mattress. Allow the mattress to air dry completely. This may take days.
An overhead fan if you have one will speed up the process or use a portable fan to blow over the wet area. Otherwise open windows, to allow air to circulate.
The vinegar will leave an odor, this will dissipate after some time. If you have trouble coping with the vinegar odor try neutralizing the odor by creating a paste using baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the affected area and allow it to sit for several hours before vacuuming it up.
Using An Enzyme Cleaner
The method of using an enzyme cleaner is similar to that of using other methods. The urine-stained area needs to be treated, and the mattress will then need time to dry thoroughly.
Follow the specific directions given on the cleaner you choose to use. The stain remover that smells like oranges is a very effective enzymatic cleaner but I have a problem with the fragrance of the product.
It may just be my sensitive nose and probably is, as my OH likes the fragrance. However, this is just a reminder to read reviews and pay attention to how the product odor affected the cat parents because that is important too.
1. Blot the area with a clean cloth to remove as much urine as possible.
2. Mix a solution of one part water and one part enzyme cleaner.
3. Apply the mixture to the urine stains using a spray bottle or sponge.
4. Allow the mixture to sit on the stain for at least 15 minutes.
5. Blot the area with a clean cloth to remove the enzyme cleaner.
6. Rinse the area with plain water and blot dry.
Ask Yourself, “Why Would The Cat Pee on My Memory Foam?”
Find out if the cat has a health issue and seek your vet’s assistance.
The following are common cat issues that need treatment, and one may be the reason your cat peed on your memory foam.
- Kidney Stones
- Bladder Infections
- Dietary Changes
- A New Family Member or Pet
- Dirty Litter Box/Change in Litter/Can’t Get In or Out Of The Litter Box (this may be age related)
There is Hope if a Cat Pees on a Memory Foam Mattress
I once thought that nothing would erase the pee smell from:
- Yarn-Yes, I know! Cats do pee on yarn.
- Mattresses, especially memory foam mattresses.
However, if your kitty pees on your memory foam, know that there is hope and you can remove urine stains.
The Benefits of Adopting a Cat into Your Home
- Science has proven that having a cat is one of the favorite pets and holds many benefits.
- Makes a wonderful companion
- Are highly independent
- Relieves stress (sometimes increases stress)
- Improves your sleep
- Lowers heart disease risk
- Improves your social life
Did you know that when a single man adopts a cat or two, it helps to attract women? Who would have thought? The nurturing side of a man becomes evident to women. No, this is not a dating site for people with cats. There’s an idea!
Everything in life, including your family’s cat or cats, has some negatives. You must be prepared to accept some bad with all the good that cats bring to human lives, such getting pee out of mattress foam.
Prevention is the Best Cure
While your cat is in the process of healing from a health ailment or taking part in behavior modification, it may be an excellent idea to put a waterproof barrier on your mattress. If your cat makes this mistake again, you can save your mattress from further damage.
You may have to keep your bedroom door closed.
Some folks add their favorite essential oil to the cleaning compound. Cats do not like strong fragrances, so these oils may deter your cat from jumping on your bed.
Odors that Cats Do Not Like
After the cat pee is cleaned up and the area is dry, consider spraying your mattress with any of the following. Cats do not generally like these smells. This may deter them from jumping on your bed.
- Lavender (I opt for this choice for obvious reasons)
- Fruity Smells
Never reprimand your cat because it peed on your memory foam.
Since cats can not talk, this is a form of communication to get your attention, and if your cat pees on your bed, it will certainly get your attention fast.
Cats do not know what spite is, so know that your cat would not pee on your memory foam on purpose.
Keep giving your fluff ball the attention it needs and throw in loads of kitty hugs and kisses.