What is the best flea treatment for kittens? That depends on the age of the kitten.
- If the kitten is less than 6-8 weeks old do not use conventional flea treatments. There are other things you can do. See this video which shows how to get rid of fleas on very young kittens.
- If the kitten is over 8 weeks old there are a number of flea control options which are described in more detail below.
Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these links.
Our Choices With Reviews Are:
Reviews The Best Flea Treatment For Kittens - 8 Weeks & Older
#1.Frontline Plus Flea and Tick Treatment
- Kittens need to be 8 weeks old and over 1.5 pounds to safely use this product. This same standard applies to all of the topical flea treatments for kittens reviewed.
- This product contains Fipronil and (S)-methoprene. Fipronil, kills adult fleas and ticks and, (S)-methoprene, attacks flea eggs and larvae. It works for a month and then needs to be reapplied.
- It is very easy to apply. The applicator has a snap line which is clearly indicated on the product so no snipping is required. Part your cat's fur at the base of the neck, above the shoulder blades and then squeeze the product from the applicator onto the skin. It literally takes seconds. I have to say that I have never had any problems in the application of this treatment. I have become pretty speedy at application.
2. PetArmor Flea & Tick Squeeze-on Treatment
- Kittens must be over 1.5 lbs and over 8 weeks of age to safely use this product. When the fleas are first treated don't be surprised if there appears to be more fleas. They may rise to the top of the coat where they can be seen. This is normal and a sign that the product is working. Be aware that if fleas are can still be seen on the kitten after days of giving the treatment if may mean that there is a flea infestation in the bedding, carpet or a part of the yard. It makes sense to deflea the whole yard and home if there is an infestation.
- When applying, part the hair at the base of the head or between shoulder blades and as apply to the skin and not onto the cat’s fur if possible. Years of experience have taught me that sometimes a small amount does go on to the fur. For best results, apply once a month. Fipronil is the active ingredient.
3.Catego Flea And Tick Treatment
- This treatment is suitable for kittens over 1.5lbs and over 8 weeks old.
- It is administered by using an applicator that ensures that the product has contact with the kittens or cat’s skin. It is an easy job to part the hair at the base of the kittens head and apply the product until the applicator is empty. Repeat once a month. The product dries quickly.
- If you still see fleas on your kitten they are usually new fleas or fleas that are yet to perish from being exposed to Catego.
- This is a well priced product with good feedback from consumers. Although this product is not a household name (yet) it works extremely well. If you are familiar with Vectra, it is made by the same company. They also make Feliway and it is made in the USA.
4.Bayer Advantage 11 Flea Treatment For Kittens
- The kitten formula is for use with kittens 8 weeks of age or older from 2- 5 pounds.This product caters for different weights - under 5 lbs, 5 - 9 lbs and over 9lbs.
- Advantage II - Once A Month Kitten Topical Flea Treatment begins killing fleas, flea eggs and flea larvae within 12 hours of application. The product works by spreading over the skin of the kitten so the flea does not actually have to “bite” the kitten. The flea is repelled through contact.
- It controls existing flea infestations and prevents further infestations and remains effective following a shampoo treatment, swimming or after exposure to rain or sunlight.
- If you are planning on bathing your cat it is suggested to do that before the application. It's a once a month flea treatment and prevention.
- The product is liquid and is applied to the back of the neck once a month. It is simply a matter of parting the fur and squeezing the product onto the skin. It is always wise to watch carefully for 24 hours in case of an allergic reaction. It is just a precaution but one that is well worth taking with any product.
- This product contains two applications, so enough product for two months. The weight requirement is written on the top right hand corner of the product. Make sure you have the correct product for the weight of your cat.
Our Recommendation is...
#1. Frontline Plus Flea and Tick Treatment For Cats & Kittens
Frontline Plus is our recommended flea treatment for kittens once they reach 8 weeks of age and meet the weight requirements of 1.5 Lbs. It's not just fleas that are controlled. Flea eggs, flea larvae, ticks and chewing lice are all controlled by a regular once a month treatment. This product has worked hard to gain its reputation. It has been a recommended method of flea control by veterinarians now for nearly 20 years.
If the infestation is specially bad, consider giving the kitten a bath first as described and shown in the video at the top of the article.
Read the labels and check for any weight or age restrictions, two things that are important when dealing with fleas on kittens.
Overall rating : 5 / 5
How To Get Rid Of Fleas On Very Young Kittens
Don't use conventional flea treatments on very young kittens (less than 8 weeks). The video below has useful information showing how to get rid of fleas on very young kittens.
There are a couple of points to note from the video.
- Firstly, it is a very good video however, it would have been advisable to begin by bathing around the neck area of the kitten. This is because fleas immediately jump to the neck area when kittens and cats are being bathed.
- Secondly, when the bathing is complete, don't forget to rinse kitty with some lukewarm water. He may have rinsed the kitty although that was not obvious in the video.
Use A Flea Comb On Kittens
Use a flea comb after the bath, when kitty has been towel dried.
This is THE best way to remove any fleas that may still be around.
Remember that even after giving a kitten a flea bath, the fleas will come back. The flea bath is a very effective solution to immediately take control of the situation but not enough to continue to repel fleas after bath time is over. Most flea shampoos are for use in kittens/cats over 12 weeks old.
Get into the habit of checking your very young kitten for fleas daily and use a flea comb to keep fleas at bay. You don’t need to purchase a specific comb for kittens, a comb for an older cat will work just as well.
Another natural way to kill fleas on kittens, in addition to bathing and using a flea comb, is to use Diatomaceous Earth and this is safe for kittens.
Are Fleas On Kittens Harmful to Health?
A flea infestation on kittens can have adverse health effects such as anemia. While this is not often a problem in adult cats it is seen frequently in kittens. The reason being, although we refer to flea bites it is actually the flea sucking a small amount of blood through its proboscis. As a kitten has a low body weight a flea infestation can cause anemia because of the blood loss.
Are Fleas On Kittens When They Are Born?
Kittens are not born with fleas however if the mother cat has fleas or the bedding has fleas, it won’t be long before your kitten also has fleas.
The age of the kitten and the weight of the kitten are two important points to note here. Check the label of the product you are going to use to make sure your kitten is the age required to use the product safely and take note of any safety precautions.
In addition to age requirements a weight requirement is often stipulated for safety using the product. We have included that information. It is important to follow manufacturers recommendations.
Video - How To Apply Flea Treatment To a Cat
In the quest to beat fleas there are more flea related articles below.
Flea collars for cats can Remain effective for up to 8 months
This article gives advice on what to look for when buying a flea collar and also reviews popular cat flea collars.
Which Cat Flea Comb Is The Best?
Cat flea combs remain one of the most useful pieces of simple equipment to have on standby to get rid of fleas quickly.