Senior Cat In His New Bed
The best cat bed for older cats will give the cat comfort, support and easy access. At first glance this bed (below) appears to be too small for the cat, however it has one huge bonus and that is the supported and structured but still soft sides.
The cat is no longer agile, however with this bed he simply has to step in which is easy because it has a low entry point. He then sits down and with one movement he plops down and his body is totally supported by the firm but soft sides.
Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these links.
This beaut little bed just goes into the washing machine (the whole bed) and dries quickly. It did go into the dryer to warm it up a little for kitty.
In the photo it looks as though it collapses a little and yes it does however there is enough support to maintain the benefits of the soft and cushioned sides.
Our Choices With Reviews Are:
Must Haves - Best Cat Bed For Older Cats
- The best cat bed for older cats needs to be washable. This is a given but do check because some beds are not totally washable and may have a washable insert.
- Supported sides
This is essential for joint support. In this case it does pay to read reviews because if the sides collapse too easily the benefit will be lost. Supported but firm is the way to go. The cat also needs to be able to enter and exit the bed easily without having to navigate high sides.
- Fit with decor
Great if the bed it fits with the decor but to be honest a this stage of the cat’s life I am more concerned about his comfort than necessarily matching the decor. However there are some good neutral choices which suit any decor.
We have just one of these beds however I am thinking about getting another just for the convenience of having one in another room.
Check the measurements of the bed. Note the low front opening.
Best Cat Bed For Older Cats - Reviews
#1.FurHaven Plush and Suede Orthopedic Sofa Cat Bed
- This bed has a wide front opening that makes it the perfect solution for an elderly cat with arthritic joints to access easily. The orthopedic medical grade foam (you may know this as eggshell foam or egg crate construction) is super comfortable and the body-weight is distributed evenly, so there will be less pressure on joints.
- The bolsters at the side and at the back of the bed give support for the body and also a place to rest the head.
- To get the longest life from the bed and using cold water either machine wash separately or hand wash. Remove the foam before washing. Zip the cover closed before washing and if machine washing put into a laundry mesh wash bag. The foam can be spot cleaned if necessary.
- Anyone who has a senior cat with arthritis will know just how important all of these three points are when considering the maximum comfort for the cat. Cats often suffer in silence. We can do what we can to help them get comfortable.
2.Frisco Round Bolster Cat Bed
- This is a great little bed for senior cats to curl up and get comfortable.
The small size is ideal for a cat - the inner dimensions are 13.5 x 13.5 inches however is a larger size and there are two different colors, khaki or soft brown.
- The raised sides are perfect for place to rest a weary head and they give security and support. As someone said, it hugs the kitty.
- The stuffing is a polyester fiber filling. The thickness of the sleeping area is 5 inches. A couple of very comfy looking beds were eliminated for this review as the inner cushion did not have enough padding.
- Machine wash separately on a cold gentle cycle wash or hand wash. It can be tumble dried on low. Re shape if needed.
- Dogs and cats are both enamored of this bed. Is the weather still cold at your place? Pop the bed into the dryer for a few minutes to make it toasty for kitty.
3.K&H Pet Products Ortho Bolster Sleeper Pet Bed
- It has supported back and sides. There is enough space to step into and do a couple of customary turns before lying down.
- The step in and sleeping surface is about 3 inches high. The foam is medical grade orthopedic foam and the side bolster are premium poly-fill made from recycled bottles.
- To wash this bed, unzip and remove the cover. Use a gentle cycle in cold water or hand wash. Replace once it is fully dry. This is a practical bed and it looks good too.
- This is a perfect design for older cats because it has a low front opening which is essential for a senior cat.
4.Armarkat Round Cat Bed
- This bed is the perfect size for an older cat and the wall is just the right height for head resting.
- The exterior measures 15 inches across, the inside measurements are 14 inches across with a wall height of five inches.
- The fabric is soft plush and the 100% poly-fill is extra thick. The bed is machine washable. The pillow is removable so if it becomes soiled it can be easily laundered.
- The base is waterproof and skid free.The color is as shown, sky blue and ivory.
It's a comfy bed perfect for an elderly kitty.
5.FurHaven NAP Deluxe Orthopedic Dog & Cat Bed
- This bed is different to the others reviewed because it doesn’t have sides.
- The orthopedic foam is egg crate construction which means that the cat's weight will be evenly distributed to alleviate pressure on joints. This is easy for an elderly cat to step onto and comfortable for old bones.
- Senior cats do like the supported sides of the other beds reviews however they do also like to stretch out and lie down fully. This little bed is perfect for that.
- The foam can be hand washed or spot cleaned as necessary. Don’t wring out the foam rather press the foam to remove excess water and allow it to air dry. The cover is machine washable.
- The base is not non slip so ideally place on carpet or a mat.
- For a pet with incontinence issues place a puppy pad under the cover, between the foam and the cover.
Our First Choice is...
#1.FurHaven Plush and Suede Orthopedic Sofa Cat Bed
We love the Furhaven Sofa Cat Bed for older cats because it is easy for the cat to enter and has good support from the side and back bolsters. This is a perfect example of the best cat for older cats as it has all of the design requirements.
The eggshell crate foam is very comfortable and distributes body weight evenly thus minimizing stress on joints. The low entry point helps to make this a winner for older cats with agility problems that affect their day to day movement.
If your senior cat is slight more agile and can step over the sides the Frisco Round Bolster Cat Bed is a winner. A whopping 97% of people reviewed recommended this bed which is pretty amazing.
Cats do hide their pain but it can be very difficult watching an elderly cat with stiff joints trying to settle into a comfortable position. At this time of their life they need every bit of assistance possible. That doesn’t necessarily mean fancy or expensive but actually noting what is now difficult for them and taking steps to make life a little easier. They will appreciate it and you will feel better for being proactive in caring for your elderly cat.
Beds To Suit Older Cats
Two Tips For Buying Cat Beds
2. Most of these beds say that they are self warming. This can be confusing but what it actually means is that the cat's own body heat and the curled up position of the cat, will mean they will be cosy and toasty from heat generated by their own body.
The beds are not artificially warmed.
If you found this article for senior cats helpful, you may also enjoy reading...
What is the best thing about using raised cat bowls?
Raised bowls are a good idea for all age cats however they become a necessity for senior cats.
What is the best litter box for an older kitty?
The ease with which kitty can get in and out of the box is the main consideration.